PHP vs Python
Contributor: Faisal Islam, Software Engineer, Nascenia
There are many languages in programming. Each of them has some predefined and special tasks. Both PHP and Python have their special set of keywords and syntaxes for organizing their programming commands.
Today, we will compare them by their popularity, uses and availability.
Common Ground for both languages
- Both are interpreted, high level languages with dynamic typing.
- Both are Open Source.
- Both are easy to extend in C, C++ and Java.
- Both are extremely portable, they run on almost all platforms in existence without recompilation.
- Both languages are supported for variable number of function arguments.
- Both supports namespaces and docstring.
- Both supports method chaining.
- Both can be used for scripting and general programming (CLI sapi, embedded etc.)
PHP is the most popular scripting language
It is fast, flexible, widely-used scripting language for everything from a simple blog of the most popular and dynamic websites in the world.
Advantages of PHP
- It is very easy to start coding in PHP with a basic understanding. This is the main reason why PHP was created.
- It is faster to develop an application with.
- It can be deployed on most of the web servers and it works on almost every operating system and platform.
- Hosting cost is much cheaper.
- It has very large community of users and developers.
- It has huge improvement over previous versions, and version 7 will be almost 2 times faster than the previous versions.
Disadvantages of PHP
It is not suitable for making desktop application. It’s error handling was traditionally poor but it will improve from next version (PHP 7). It is considered to be less secure compared to Python.
Popular web framework
It is secured and very high performing web framework for PHP. It has very active contributors. Its proven history of success running business critical and high-usage applications.
It is a set of PHP components , a Web Application framework, a Philosophy, and a Community – all working together in harmony.
It is a free, open-source PHP web application framework with expressive syntax. Now-a-days it is one of the most popular web framework among PHP developers.
A full-stack PHP framework delivered as a C-extension. Its innovative architecture makes Phalcon the fastest PHP framework ever built!
Popular CMS built with PHP
It is an online, open source website creation tool written in PHP. But in non-geek speak, it’s probably the easiest and most powerful blogging and website content management system in existence today.
It is an open source content management platform powering millions of websites and applications. It’s built, used, and supported by an active and diverse community of people around the world.
It is an award-winning content management system, which enables you to build websites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular website software available. It is free and open source solution.
Python is a general purpose programming language
It is widely used high level programming languages. The elegant design and syntax rules of this programming language make it quite readable even among the multi-programmer development teams. It supports multiple ways of building the structure and elements of computer programs, including object-oriented and functional programming.
Advantages of Python
- It is also very easy to learn.
- It has readable and organized syntax.
- It offers rapid prototyping and dynamic semantics capabilities.
- It also has great community support.
Disadvantages of Python
It is slower to be used in web apps compared to PHP. Although it has very large community support, it has limited number developers compared to PHP.
Python used by top companies
Popular web framework
It focuses on automation and DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) principle. It makes easier to develop web application with less code.
It allows to develop a database-driven, ready to extend application in minutes. It has Object Relational Mapper (ORM) supports.
It is a micro framework for Python based on Werkzeug, Jinga 2 and good intentions.
Popular CMS built with Python
It runs on Zope application server, which is written in Python. It is a free and open source content management system. It is positioned as an Enterprise CMS and is commonly used for intranets and as part of the web presence of large organizations.
It is an open source content management platform built using the Django framework. In some ways, Mezzanine resembles tools such as WordPress that provide an intuitive interface for managing pages, blog posts, form data, store products, and other types of content. But it is also has some more features, unlike many other platforms that make extensive use of modules or reusable applications. It provides most of its functionality by default. This approach yields a more integrated and efficient platform.
So which one is better option to use and learn?
The answer is – “You can do everything with both of them”
Both are good options and they have different purposes and history. There is no real good or bad answer. It always depends on what you want to accomplish. However, if you ask my preference, I would choose PHP over Python. Thank you for reading!